Facts from Wikipedia
– Scientific name is Cordyceps militaris.
– It is a genus of ascompycete fungi that includes about 400 species.
– All species are endoparasitoids, parasitic mainly on insects and other arthropods; a few are parasitic on other fungi.
– They are particularly abundant and diverse in humid temperate and tropical forests.
– Fungi are essential parts of many ecosystems, but this particular genus also has a great deal of importance for people, as it has been traditionally used in herbal medicine for centuries.