Recipe derived from J. Kenji Lopez Alt and Serious Eats
- 2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed
- 5 oz oyster mushroom
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce
- ¾ cups roasted cashews
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¾ panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Cheese of choice for topping, pepper jack or swiss recommended
- Hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread black beans in a single layer on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast until beans are blistering and outer skins begin to dry out and become crunchy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While beans are roasting, heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add onion, mushroom, and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir constantly until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chipotle chili and adobo sauce and continue stirring until fragrant, about1 minute. Transfer the contents to a large bowl.
- Place cashews in a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped into pieces. You do not want powder. Add the cashews to the mixing bowl.
- When beans are slightly cooled, transfer to a food processor or blender. Add cheese and pulse until beans are roughly chopped up. Transfer to bowl with mixture. Add breadcrumbs and egg and season with salt and pepper. Fold together.
- Form bean mixture into patties about the same size as the burger buns. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook, until the first side is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is browned. Add cheese if desired.
- Add condiments to top or bottom of bun if desired. Place patties on bottom bun and serve.